Beach Praise Unplugged
We meet every Sunday at 4 pm
We're under or very near the first tiki hut just south (to the right) of the Deerfield Beach Pier. It's all contemporary praise. There's a short Bible study after the music. Bring a friend. Additional guitar players are welcomed. Don't forget 8 quarters for the parking meter.
Songs We're Doing This Month
- Sonic Flood - I Want to Know You
- Sonic Flood - Heart of Worship
- Mercy Me - Spoken For
- Darleen Zschech - Worthy is the Lamb
- Rebecca St. James - God of Wonders
- Rebecca St. James - Breathe
- Third Day - Love Song (in G)
- Third Day - I've Always Loved You (in C)
- Phillips, Craig, & Dean - Revelation Song
- Chris Tomlin - Holy is the Lord
- Chris Tomlin - Where You Go I'll Go
- Hosanna Music - Open the Eyes of My Heart
- ... and more!
Pot Luck Supper
The Basics About Higher Ground Church
Higher Ground Church may be exactly what you've wanted. Our music and our message are aligned with the interests of undergrad and graduate students, those beginning their career, the visionary entrepreneur, and the missions-minded young adult. All who are seeking the truth about God and life's most interesting questions are welcomed.
You'll find Higher Ground Church friendly, informative, purposeful, and alive. If you have any questions, you can reach us through our Contact Us page, and there is plenty of information on this site.
Pages for You
Keep Me Informed
We'll keep you informed about local events in Broward County and Southern Palm Beach County if you fill out this form. You can update your contact information here too.
Higher Ground Perspectives
These are some of Higher Ground's defining beliefs and practices.
- We believe God values people and especially loves those who are seeking a higher truth about life and how to live. The Bible is one big story about God working to bring us to a higher ground. We want to show that same value in everything we do.
- We recognize the transition away from a legal relationship with God in the New Testament, and although we recognize the importance of salvation, purity, and the support of the work of God in time and finances, we do not employ fear-based approaches to motivating church membership. We encourage purity and sanctification, but we do not impose unnecessary rules or make rash judgments about people's relationship with God based on a hearsay. We allow each person to seek God out of their own desire to grow.
- We work to ensure that all Higher Ground messages and discussions have historical, cultural, intellectual, and creative depth and significance.
- We look to keep biblical teachings pure, cherishing the words of Jesus and the wisdom contained throughout the entire Bible, always avoiding distorting the message of scripture. Many practices of the contemporary Christian community have been distorted by philosophies and beliefs that are in conflict with the basic teachings of Jesus Christ, so we seek a purer form of Christian community - a higher ground.
- We believe that the same Holy Spirit who motivated and gave the disciples the power to work miracles, as recorded in the second chapter of the Book of Acts,is willing to impart motivation and strength to God's children today.
- We recognize that Jesus fully accepted the diversity of race, nationality, economic condition, and culture and treated both men and women with dignity and compassion.
- We seek the glory of God solely, and recognize that God deserves credit for anything accomplished through us. Our leaders do not seek undue respect, and we like to let our membership know that God holds all the important solutions, not men.
Higher Ground Activities
Check out our church activities. We no longer have a Sunday service, or any traditional service for that matter. The reasoning is simple.
- Sunday morning services are sprinkled in quality throughout South Florida, so there is no point in adding another competative one.
- The operational costs of traditional services is high.
- Jesus didn't do it.
- The cost saved by focusing on church activities that are NOT prevalent in South Florida, that are inexpensive operationally, and that are consistent with what we see in the new testament allows us to perform without strain these more effective ministries.
- The Internet and the emergence of portable devices such as smart phones and pads has changed the primary ways people use to reach large masses.
Higher Ground Music
We recognize the value of many musical styles. Our emphasis is on contemporary Christian music including alternative rock, R&B, dance, rhythmic pop, progressive folk rock, soul, hip hop, nu metal, hard rock, ska, reggae, retro, pop Gospel, and progressive Gospel.
Higher Ground Approach to Attire
Our members come in casual clothing or dress more formally as they see fit. We do ask that attendees avoid provocative cuts because they have no purpose in a community seeking truth and personal growth.
Higher Ground's View of Church
We believe that a biblical church body is a group of people who
- Read scripture as Truth,
- Accept Jesus as Savior,
- Surrender their life to God,
- Exemplify God's love and grace,
- Sharpen one another's spiritual life,
- Worship, praise and pray to God together,
- Assist the downtrodden, and
- Convey these beliefs and activities to others, both near and far.
The Location of Higher Ground
We have services and outreach events in multiple facilities throughout N.E. Broward County, Florida, including Lighthouse Point, Pompano Beach, and Deerfield Beach, and serve the people who live in these areas. We also provide information and resources for those seeking God throughout the world.
The central location for all public information about Higher Ground and its events and structure is this web site. Our main offices are in Pompano Beach, Florida. See our Contact Us page for our office mailing address.
Higher Ground Finances and Operations
Higher Ground Church is a 501(c)3 tax-exempt organization, so contributions are tax deductable. So that the impact of your contributions are maximized, we are also registered as a State of Florida not-for-profit corporation, and we keep our church's operational costs low, making use of contemporary communication techniques and technology, including web forms, postings, forums, email notices, and social networks. We save money by using existing public and private facilities in a way that is guaranteed by the free exercise clause of the Constitution of the United States. We are not overly concerned with facility ownership, finding unbalanced emphasis on such things as counterproductive to the cause of Christ. We consider careers and salaries important only to the extent that it permits us to do God's work within the local community and worldwide.
Higher Ground voluntarily adheres to the constitutions and bylaws of the General Council of the Assemblies of God and the Peninsular Florida District.
Higher Ground enjoys a cooperative relationship with Whirlwind Magazine and other affiliate Christian organizations.